The Short Courses here are offered by myself and others who have kindly extended their permission. Please contact me if you want to contribute content to this site but note that I only post useful and well-presented material. Use the resources freely, but please credit authors! All resources are provided on the condition that they be used for sole use, and for the non-commercial purpose of scientific and engineering research.
ANTICIPATING AND ADDRESSING THE CHARACTERIZATION, DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION PROBLEMS OF FAULT ROCKS, MELANGES and OTHER BIMROCKS: A Short Course for Engineering Geologists and Geotechnical Engineers
The Lectures and Notes are provided for this Short Course taught at the Geological Engineering Department of Hacettepe University, in Ankara, Turkey on June 21-22, 2004. The instructors were Dr. Edmund Medley, Dr. Harun Sönmez, Dr. Candan Gokceoglu, and Dr. Resat Ulusay.
- Lecture Notes (0.4MB)
- Lecture 0: Introduction (0.4 MB)
- Lecture 1: Characterization and Classification of Fault Rocks and Melanges (11.3 MB)
- Lecture 2: Investigation and field studies of bimrocks (4.4 MB)
- Lecture 3: Anticipating and solving problems with excavations and slopes in bimrocks (7.4 MB)
- Lecture 4: Tunneling through fault zones and melanges (20.1 MB)
- Lecture 5: Evaluation of strength of bimrocks (3.4 MB)
- Seminar: Simple lecture on Geological complexity: How to characterize Melange and other Bimrocks (4.0 MB)
SHORT COURSE: TUNNELS THROUGH FAULT ROCKS AND TECTONIC MELANGES: A SHORT COURSE FOR ENGINEERING GEOLOGISTS AND GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERS
This 1.5-day Short Course was sponsored by the San Francisco Sections of the Assn. of Eng. Geologists and the Am. Soc. Civil Engineers. It was held in Oakland, California on June 2002. Gruppe Geotechnik Graz of Graz, Austria (www.3-g.at) kindly made available the Lectures taught during the Short Course by Professor Wulf Schubert and Professor Gunter Riedmueller.
- Compilation of All 7 Lectures (35 MB)
- Lecture 1-Introduction (2.3 MB)
- Lecture 2 – Characterization (1.6 MB)
- Lecture 3 – Research on Bimrocks (0.9 MB)
- Lecture 4 – Investigation (1) (3 MB)
- Lecture 5 – Investigation (2) (10 MB)
- Lecture 6 – Investigation (3) (8.5 MB)
- Lecture 7 – Construction (5 MB)
- Field Trip Guide (15 MB) for El Cerrito Quarry and Caldecott Tunnel in Berkeley (made available through the permission of the San Francisco Section of the Association of Engineering Geologists http://www.aegsf.org)